Hundred Strings Forum Hundred Strings Forums
June 26, 2017, 01:44:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Shatatantri Media releases live santoor duet recordings from Pandit Shivkumar Sharma and Rahul Sharma's  Japan tour of 2001. Click here to view the catalog

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Apple iTunes
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Moods  (Read 4890 times)
Sumanth Sharma

Sangeeta gnanamu bhakti vina

« on: May 19, 2008, 02:25:09 AM »

I bought this Album a month back or so, it's rendered by the inimitable Aruna Sairam, one of my favorites in the current pack.

MSS has been my all time Favorite in Carnatic system, and Aruna Sairam comes close to her in my books for reasons unknown to me.

I would like to bring to your notice that there is one very very *interesting* attempt by her in rendering the popular abhang Thirtha vittla khsetra vittala.

For Reference OR context: Any music lover would be well aware that Aruna Sairam's upbringing was in Mumbai and hence the Marathi music influence and she has sung various abhangs. Though being a Carnatic classical singer, she is thoroughly aware of the Hindustani system of music.

Coming back to the attempt she made in singing Thirtha vittala khsetra vittala, i am consciously calling it as an attempt because it very much sounds like a cross culture rendering, i just cannot explain how, but I would sincerely suggest that you listen to it once, it's an abhang true, but very different in its fabric as opposed to what you would get from someone like Ajit Kadkade or Sanjeev Abhayankar. It's also very different in terms with her own rendering of other abhangs.

I enjoyed it alot and have it synced in my Cell phone as well listen to it frequently while I commute to/fro Office, but would appreciate if someone can tell me why it sounds very different.

To sum it up it was a very different and fresh rendering, but not sure it would appeal to a purist or not.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:26:34 PM by Sumanth Sharma » Logged

Hari Om
Hundred Strings Forum

Apple iTunes
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: